Contributors

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Books!

Strangely, I actually am not too much a fan of the question of what are your favorite books. I seem to only be able to say Harry Potter off the top of my head and then I feel like I'm not all that well read, but here is the list of some books that I think are worth mentioning for various reasons.

1. Though I've already listed it Harry Potter is the books which I have grown up with. In the past year or so they have become such a part of my life as I've dived deeper into the fandom and found awesome things like Nerdfighters and Wizard Rock. For me it's about more than just the books and the writing and the world that was created. It is about what Harry Potter has brought to me in the real world. Everything connected to this series has been about teaching me to have fun, something, I'm finding, I need to learn how to do.

2. Another book of mention which is very important to me is Paper Towns. I actually started rereading that today. I brought my copy to Madagascar when I went and started my second read through of the book. Everything that was brought up about human nature and imagining each other complexly really helped me while I was on an adventure that was changing my life. While I was in Madagascar I was figuring out that people have a difficult time seeing each, especially complexly, so that book helped me figure out a lot of things. It is one of my dreams to get my beat up copy signed by John Green and tell him that myself one day.

3. Maragret Peterson Haddix is one of my favorite authors. She has written a couple of books which I have really enjoyed and have been some of my favorite reads. I really liked Running Out of Time and Double Identity. I think my favorite of hers has to be Escape From Memory. That is one of those stories which has stayed with me since I read it in 5th or 6th grade.

4. Final book I'll include on this list is called The Storm Theif this was a book that I picked up at a used book store. It looked vaguely interesting and I'm a big fan of sci fi so I thought I'd get it. It is actually one of my favorite books. It looks at questions of human nature and issue like silent genocide and the tension between chaos and order. It's hard to explain what it is that I like about it so much and also pretty hard to explain the plot but it is absolutely one of my favorite books that I've read recently.


In other news of awesome, I got my Pizza John shirt in the mail yesterday and wore today during my history and English finals. It was awesomely awkward trying to explain what the shirt "means" to people. I think I came up with: "So my favorite YA author has a video blog and someone took his face from the three seconds he had a mustache in a video and put it on a shirt. It says pizza because he likes pizza. Yeah, it doesn't really make much sense...." But it was a lot of fun wearing that. I'm also going to get to wear my Hufflepuff tie to school tomorrow because I'm giving a presentation on the Harry Potter Alliance as one of my finals. All in all, midterms are turning out fairly well this year!


DFTBA everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment