Contributors

Monday, November 15, 2010

ON TIME

I would like to congratulate myself. I ALMOST forgot it was blogday. But then I said: I'ts monday, I wonder what I'm missing. And here we are, in spite of mounds of math homework and Human Geography stuff I left in my locker (to be done asap when i get to school tomorrow).
What to write about though?
It seems that the theme for the past week has been very short posts. I will continue this I think.

I would like to share a poem with you all. Because that's what I think of when I think short works of literature. However, all those who have read much Auden will know that not all poetry is short. So maybe I'll read a long poem. No, that's a bad idea.
I'll type an excerpt of a long poem!

Faces along the bar
cling to their average day
the lights must never go out,
the music must always play,
alll the conventions conspire,
to make this fort assume,
the furniture of home;
lest we should see where we are,
lost in a haunted wood,
children afraid of the night
who have never been happy or good.

Collected Auden, 58

So a note on the fact that I'm reading the long and overly wordy work of a very dead man who lived during the second world war:
A line that was written in Alaska was written by auden (you must love thy neighbor/ with all they crooked heart). and i liked it. So I put the collected Works of WH Auden on hold at the library. (ten points for pretentious italics). I am the first person to check this out in ten years. go me.
Have a lovely week all.

No comments:

Post a Comment